Root Canal Therapy
Endodontic Treatment (Root Canal Treatment)
Most of the time, a root canal is a relatively simple procedure with little or no discomfort involving one or two visits. Best of all, it can save your tooth and your smile!
During a root canal procedure at Sensitive Care Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, the nerve and pulp are removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Without treatment, the tissue surrounding the tooth will become infected and abscesses may form.
Why Does Tooth Pulp Need to Be Removed?
When a tooth’s nerve tissue or pulp is damaged, it breaks down and bacteria begin to multiply within the pulp chamber. The bacteria and other decayed debris can cause an infection or abscessed tooth. An abscess is a pus-filled pocket that forms at the end of the roots of the tooth. An abscess occurs when the infection spreads all the way past the ends of the roots of the tooth. In addition to an abscess, an infection in the root canal of a tooth can cause:
- Swelling that may spread to other areas of the face, neck, or head.
- Bone loss around the tip of the root.
- Drainage problems extending outward from the root. A hole can occur through the side of the tooth with drainage into the gums or through the cheek with drainage into the skin.
What Damages a Tooth’s Nerve and Pulp in the First Place?
- A tooth’s nerve and pulp can become irritated, inflamed, and infected due to deep decay, repeated dental procedures on a tooth, and/or large fillings, a crack or chip in the tooth, or trauma to the face.
What Are the Signs That a Root Canal Is Needed?
Sometimes, no symptoms are present; however, signs you may need a root canal include:
- Discoloration (a darkening) of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums
- Prolonged sensitivity/pain to heat or cold temperatures (after the hot or cold has been removed)
- A persistent or recurring pimple on the gums.
- Severe tooth pain.
To schedule an appointment with a Sensitive Care dentist in our Milford, CT office, contact us today at 203-878-6699.